My husband and I now have very strange sleep patterns. I usually toddle off to bed around 8 p.m. I've done that my entire life~"early to bed, early to rise".
HE, on the other hand, has always been a night owl. Our son and his dad used to stay up until midnight watching movies on tv together while I was off snoring in the bedroom. I would awaken at the crack of dawn (or before), tidy up the house, feed the animals, and get ready for work. My husband would sleep in as late as he could, rush to get ready for work, and run out of the house.
Well, now that we are both RETIRED, I still go to sleep at 8 p.m., but I awaken at ... 3 AM. YES! (like this morning... it was 3:30 a.m.) I guess 7 hours is enough. Sometimes after breakfast I will go back to sleep for an hour and I always take an after-lunch nap.
Hubby stays up until midnight or 1 a.m. and then sleeps in until 10 a.m. Some mornings, however, he awakens at 3 a.m. and he'll stay awake until about 6, then go back to sleep.
I mentioned this to our doctor and she said humans aren't supposed to sleep 8 hours straight. REALLY? I never heard that before.
Has your doctor said anything like that? Are our bodies adjusting to the time change (longer daylight hours)? What's going on?
I kind of like my morning "quiet time". I get a lot of things done!
Sleep habits change as we get older. I don't get up any where nearly as early as you do, but I do enjoy my morning quiet time with a couple cups of coffee.
ReplyDeleteNever really talked to my doctor about sleep patterns, so don't know.
I seem to function best when I go to bed late, get up early, and take a nap sometime in between.
ReplyDelete