So, hubby and I babysit our daughter's two kids this week. I had to do it today ALL BY MYSELF since hubby pulled a muscle in his back and could barely walk.
What troubles me is that the parents of these two (ages 10 months and 3.9 years) DO NOT let them play outside. PERIOD.
Hmmmm......
They do take them for a nightly walk (not this week because they both have colds). But, during the day, it is VERBOTEN to go outside. Grass, blooming citrus trees...OH THE HORROR!
Okay. I get it. Some people have hay fever. My mother had it HORRIBLY. Our son has to take allergy shots. Our daughter is allergic to every animal on earth and every plant.
But, HOW in the world are kids going to learn about the Earth and the world if they aren't exposed to it?
These two will NEVER drink out of a hose. They will NEVER chase butterflies. They will NEVER stomp in mud. NEVER. EVER.
I'm deeply troubled by this. How are they going to know how to SURVIVE in this world if they do not KNOW this world? As you recall, I TRIED to get the nearly 4 year old to come enjoy and appreciate my vegetable garden. Upon seeing the first ant, she sprang into her mother's arms and refused to be sat down upon terra firma.
SAY WHAT?
Dirt isn't DISGUSTING. Dirt is beautiful. I work in the dirt. My hands get dirty. Sometimes I even...shudder...add COMPOST and horse manure to my garden! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! How are these two kids going to learn how to use and grow things if they NEVER touch soil?
The other two (our son's two children) are ALMOST as bad. I do, however, take the 9 year old grandson out to the creek in Temecula where we listen to birds, see the migratory ducks, and listen to the bullfrogs. Then he goes back into his sealed house where the air conditioner is running even in winter!
I know some readers DO take their grandkids out to national parks. That's my plan. I just hope their parents ALLOW ME to do this!!!!!!!!
I'm troubled.
~Cheryl Ann~
That is kind of sad. Being sheltered from some things is good, but it can go too far. I hope you get to take them!
ReplyDeleteI would be troubled too! Living in one of the most beautiful places in America and can't go outside! You can't develop resistance to outdoor allergens if you don't go out there. I know your frustrations, but remember you are just the Grandma. End of my rant. Sorry. I'm just a big believer of the outdoors.
ReplyDeleteI could understand it during the summer when it is too hot to even think clearly, but NOW? Of course, their excuse in the spring will be that there are too many things blooming...sigh...I just give up.
ReplyDelete