On my way back down Highway 74, I spotted two cars pulled off to the side of the road. Now, remember, there aren't that many turnouts on that road. I spotted one man with a camera, so I knew there was a herd of bighorn sheep. YUP! There were 4 of them. I saw the large ram resting and keeping an eye on his females. That's the life! They were about 100 yards off the road and they blended in perfectly with the rocks there, but I could see them when they moved. The ram didn't move the whole time I was there, however. He just kept soaking up the sun!
I'm always humbled to spot herd of bighorn. They are so perfectly adapted to this harsh environment. I always try to observe and study them as long as I can, but yesterday cars were whizzing by me (NOBODY else stopped!) and I didn't have a lot of room to manuever, so I headed back to my car. I always feel that each sighting of them is something to be savored.
I cropped the top two photos, but left the bottom one uncropped. Can you spot the bighorns? If not, just click on the photo to enlarge it. I wanted to capture them in their natural environment.



Seeing these critters is AWESOME!!!...:)JP
ReplyDelete