The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Burnt Valley Road~Sunday Stills Challenge 081510




As I travel from the desert to the mountains, where I board my 5 horses, I pass by Burnt Valley Road. You can drive on Burnt Valley Road and see ranches there, but right next to it is the stark reminder of why it got its name. There is a deserted, burnt ranch house which is slowly responding to the elements and falling down. I have photos (somewhere) of it from about a year ago and I've noticed that the roof has completely now caved it and vandals have sprayed graffiti all over theoutside of the house. I'm sure that at one time it stood and surveyed its lands, but now it is just an object for local gossip. I don't know the full story myself and I'll have to remember to ask about it and I'll post the results next week. But, in the meantime, it serves as a reminder for me that smoke and fire are indeed life-changing. This was some family's ranch house and home and now it sits empty and forgotten, slowly withering away under the snow and summer heat, year by year. I always look for it as I'm afraid someday it will just crumble and be gone. I've tried to find the road down to it, but haven't yet. The road is long gone. Sunday Stills ~ smoke and fire~~August 15, 2010.

1 comment: