The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Madascar Palm~Nature Notes 081210




The Madascar palm is not a palm at all (obviously...look at those thorns!), but a succulent which grows well in the desert. As long as we don't have a severe frost, they will survive out desert winters. They tolerate the heat and don't require much water. They are from the island of Madascar (hence the name...) and can even be grown indoors. Outdoors, however, they grow to 6-8 feet, like these near Deep Canyon. You can also view several of these plants at the Living Desert Reserve in Palm Desert. BEWARE of their thorns, however! They have very large thorns and you wouldn't wish to touch them! They are also drought tolerant, so here in our desert, they would be a great addition to a natural landscape. I'm thinking about redoing my front yard and getting rid of the bermuda grass which is there (and dying out anyway)...and this might be an interesting addition! Nature Notes for August 12, 2010.


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shots and great information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be interested to see how you change your lawn...You asked about my header..It's one of my own photos that I can add in Wordpress...it's been fun to change it and the header...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very attractive succulent, even with those big thorns. I like the big leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These should come with warning signs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramblingwoods, in this era of drought, I've stopped watering my front lawn. We have a wooden fence all the way around it and you can't see inside it from the street. Additionally, we have huge trees that shade it, so grass doesn't grow. I have a 6x6 foot railroad tie planter which gets some sunlight, but the rest of the yard (except for the trees) isn't planted. There is a concrete porch and a rock walkway, so I have a huge area that is pretty barren. I would like to plant desert shrubs there and attract birds and butterflies.

    ReplyDelete