Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Q" is for...ABC Wednesday, May 11, 2011





Quad. Quad is one of my 5 rescued horses which I board at the top of Deep Canyon. I found a wonderful lady who owns a large ranch, so she boards my 5 horses. It's only about 35 minutes from my house to the ranch and I visit them every weekend and sometimes mid-week, which is why I travel the road along Deep Canyon all the time and take photos. Another blogger mentioned that I should post some photos of my horses, so I'll start with Quad. He is a registered thoroughbred, a great-great grandson of the legendary Secretariat AND Affirmed, with Man O'War on his dam's side (mother's side), but just wasn't cut out to run at the track. In seven races, he never won. He had 2 seconds (place) and 2 thirds (show) finishes, but only earned about $6,000, so off he went to a large thoroughbred rescue, along with 3 other geldings one spring day back in 2008. At least they weren't slaughtered, like so many thoroughbreds who don't make it at the track. He stayed at the rescue for a while, then went out to a foster home, but then came back to the rescue. In the meantime, in a freak accident, I lost my prized mare, Beauty, in a freak accident. Beauty was the first of my horses to be trained and ridden. My cousin had taken her over the previous summer and worked with her and she was an awesome trail horses...not afraid of anything! But, fate intervened. Beauty's death in a STUPID, freak accident(she got cast in her corral and apparently hit her head while trying to get up...) left me devastated and Quad needed a home, so Quad came to us. In the meantime, I'd fallen off a friend's horse and had severely injured my sciatic nerve and my L4 and L5 discs. I was in physical therapy for nearly 6 months and it took a full two years for me to recover. I still have permanent nerve damage and I haven't been back on a horse yet. So, during that time, Quad got to be a horse and he is now learning to have a regular sized rider on him. He's very even tempered, much too laid back to be a thoroughbred race horse! We call him "Mr. Mellow"!!! He's a joy to be around and I shudder every time I think that he might have ended up in a Canadian or Mexican slaughterhouse. Our grandson loves to come and see the horses and enjoys "chatting" with Quad, who patiently stands and listens to a two year olds' babble! I also included a photo of Quad, with his gelding buddy, my PMU horse, Sunni. I'll do a post on Sunni later. To see other "Q" posts, please go to: http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. sorry about your back, but happy about your horse!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the one who asked for more and this was just fascinating. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job, although I am sorry to hear about your back.

    I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. That Quad is quite handsome. Love the long face and dappled color.
    A bummer about losing a horse and then suffering an accident yourself. I hope you get to ride sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quad is beautiful.

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/05/abc-wednesday-q-is-for-questquarter.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quad has a very sweet face to match his mellow-ness. What a story. I'm sorry about your other horse but happy you have Quad! Sorry about your injury, too. 5 horses. My daughter would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful creature Quad is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved horses but abhor the racing industry. Thank you for being there to love them.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. had to stop by when I saw the horse -thought you were doing quarter horses!
    Loved the movie Secretariat and actually love going to the races.
    (Did not pick the derby winner this past Sat.!)
    It is wpnderful what you are doing for horses - Quad in particular.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely horse! Great job that you do.

    ReplyDelete