The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Hetch Hetchy Dam









Hubby and I drove through Yosemite national park yesterday and when we came to the intersection to either go down into the valley or go toward San Francisco, we decided to drive out to the Hetch Hetchy dam and reservoir.  I'd been there once as a child, but I didn't really remember it.  So, off we went.  It's a good thing hubby is 62 now and has his national parks adventure pass!  He's really handy to bring along!  (...just kidding...)  I really didn't know what to expect and I was amazed by the size of the reservoir. It's quite a drive back to it and you have to check in and register at the ranger's booth, both coming and going.  They give you a card to put on your dashboard.  I imagine it's because of all the political activities opposing the dam.  Once we got to the dam and parked, we both were amazed at the amount of water spilling out.  There is an electricity-generating station further down the river and at one point, hubby took a photo looking all the way to the ocean (couldn't see it...too far away!)  I just hope the citizens of San Francisco appreciate what was destroyed in order to bring them water.  And that's ALL I have to say about that!  Here are some pics of the dam and reservoir.

3 comments:

  1. Have to agree with you. John Muir fought the idea of putting a dam there, but ultimately the needs of the citizens of San Francisco prevailed. Sort of like with Los Angeles water coming from the Owens River. The needs of the masses will always win out over the needs of the few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The controversy of Hetch Hetchy continues to this day. I've never seen it and your images really demonstrate the environmental changes that dam brought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an amazing and crazy story. If I remember the story correctly (for both cities), they bought the land and water rights and thought they were doing what they had a right to do. How the feds or state governments allowed it to happen is beyond me...

    ReplyDelete