Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pacific Crest Trail hikers




We stopped for breakfast in Lone Pine yesterday morning.  We arrived about 9:30 a.m. and immediately saw a group of 4 PCT hikers walk by.  I spotted another young man with his backpack shortly thereafter.  We eat breakfast at a little cafe called "The Totem Pole".  They have good food and fresh coffee.  Then, we headed up to Bishop, to stop at the bakery there in town.  But first, we stopped at the JC Penney in Bishop. I LOVE that store and we can always find something to buy there.  It isn't very big, but they carry an excellent assortment of the right kind of clothes for the Sierra.  I bought 4 tops and 2 pair of capri-like shorts, since I was STUPID and only brought one pair with me (it was 91 degrees in Bishop yesterday!)  Two hikers came up to me in the store and asked about the bus schedule.  I told the girl that I was a tourist, but she could check with the cashier.  The guy did that and they were off on their way.  It isn't a heavy snow year for the Sierra, but a lot of hikers get off in either Lone Pine or Bishop.  It's windy here this morning (near June Lake) and I'm thinking about heading over to Silver Lake to take photos while hubby sleeps.  Here are some pics of the hikers and the town of Lone Pine from yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. I think I have a book reserved at the library about the Pacific Crest trail. Sounds familiar. I saw it at Costco so reserved it at the library. I'd love to see that town though. I went through Bishop once I think in 2005. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - it's called "Wild: from lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail". Now I'm really anxious to read it. I wish it would come in today because I'm going to Utah tomorrow and I love reading while traveling. There's something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roe, you do the same thing I do...I read books about the area that we are vacationing in...I've read books about the Sierra, New MExico, Arizona, and now the PCT. Am reading "A Blistered Kind of Love" right now...about a husband and wife who hiked the PCT. Enjoy Utah...it is gorgeous! Sometimes we stay in St. George and then drive out to Bryce and Zion and the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I like to hike, I don't hear the PCT calling my name.

    ReplyDelete