Okay, so I went to Copyscape.com and typed in this blog's address. It showed the ONLY photos on the Internet were the ones on my various blog posts.
BULL!
There are 14 of my photos on Google Images. I typed in "deep canyon" and was HORRIFIED to see them there. They are being used WITHOUT my permission!
Copyscape seems to be pretty useless....sigh...
Anybody have any ideas/suggestions? I resent the fact that my photos are "out there" for anybody to use anytime.
Has anybody ever contacted Google? Is it worth it?
Thank you in advance.
Cheryl Ann
Here's one of my photos being posted WITHOUT my permission: And, this photo isn't even of Deep Canyon...This is Buellton! Now I'm up to 18 because I found MORE this morning! See update below.
UPDATE: I clicked on the photo and you can send them a message (google images)...so now, over winter break, I'll contact them on each and every photo I see and tell them that they are violating copyright laws and to take down/remove each and every photo! This is ridiculous!!!
FURTHER UPDATE: My blog header photo is on Google images, COMPLETELY WITHOUT my permission! Gasp! So far, I have sent feedback regarding 5 photos which they used without permission.
So far, I have now sent feedback to remove 9 photos...sigh...this will take most of my winter break to resolve. Please DO CHECK google images to see if yours are being used without your permission. Type in a phrase as to where they were taken. I just typed in "Deep Canyon, CA"...so far I'm only about 1/4 of the way down the page, and, like I said, I've already found 9 images, including my blog header photo, available for ANYBODY to copy and use! I'm horrified!
I'm sorry to hear your distress over the posting of your images. I think any use of a platform to post images to the internet, gives them the rights to those images by default. What I do is make the files so very small (1,000 or less pixels) with the "save for web" feature, that no one will be able to use them for anything other than a postage stamp, even if they do copy and save them to their computer. Also, make sure you have not inadvertently allowed Google access to your photos via a smart phone or your computer. You can also place a watermark and/or copyright mark across the bottom of each image. That gives you a little more teeth in the ownership fight!!
ReplyDeleteHi Nancy, Sorry to tell you but I clicked on your photos in Google and they are HUGE - perhaps even larger than most and would be just as vulnerable as are Cheryl's ! Cindy in Dayton OH
DeleteHi Cheryl , I read your post every day but never comment - you made me curious about photos - I would assume that EVERY photo you have ever posted on your blog are SOMEWHERE on Google for anyone to use however they want - I couldn't find an email for you so I will put some info here - I typed in "Deep Canyon School" and clicked "images" and approx the 12th row down is a picture of your grand daughter and if you click on it you will go to your post of May 26 - literally anything you type in may bring up unexpected images - there are photos from Al on the same search - I typed in "Bayfield Bunch Bisbee" and lots of photos came up including one of Al as a kid sitting on his old sports car - I typed in "Deep Canyon Flowers" and lots more of your photos - there is No Privacy on the internet - Why did I look ? Because I enjoy your blog along with Al and several others - I wanted to tell you not to waste your time over Christmas Break - you probably have Hundreds of Photos available to anyone in the world with a laptop ! Cindy in Dayton, OH
ReplyDeleteI can right click on your photo and save it to my PC, no problem. Did you know that? I can do that on everybody's blog. I just thought that was normal.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I've looked at your blog. I linked to it off of the Bayfield Bunch blog. Another one I've seen is Wheelingit. All their photos seem to have their name imbedded in a lower right hand corner of the photograph.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can contact them and see how it works?
Dave Davis
Copdontheroad.blogspot.com
Hello,
ReplyDeleteFirst time commenter. I read your post with interest. I looked at the photo from your header in Google images, and the only link I saw was back to your own blog, so it doesn't appear that your photos are being used by third parties. Also, I did a Google search on how to prevent photos from being returned in a Google Images search. There is a write up at the following link that may be helpful. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35308?hl=en
Best of luck with this issue.
By using Google Blogspot, you are giving over access to all your content including photos as well as prose. This is pretty blatantly stated in Google Terms of Service, where it states "When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works,communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."
ReplyDeleteThis includes Google services such as Blogger, Google Images, and Picasa. If you do not wish to give your content over to Google, I would recommend using WordPress as blogging software instead of Google Blogger.
I'm not going to post any photos until I figure this out. My photos are my personal property and I don't care what Google says. Copyright is copyright. I have written other bloggers and photographers and asked them for permission to use their photos and they have always cooperated. I'm going to research this and not post any photos until I resolve this issue.
ReplyDeleteCheryl Ann