Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Cholla~ouch!~Cactus Monday 111510


Saturday, as I was walking around Deep Canyon, I spotted these cholla spikes on the ground near some cholla cactus. I bent over to take photos of them and then, on my way back to my car, discovered the ready-to-go fire ring (see previous post). I wanted to show you the spikes because THESE are what people often step on, not the cactus itself. These were just lying on the ground. As you walk by them, the weight of your body makes the ground tremble just enough for them to "jump" up on your shoes or socks. That's why I always wear my boots or my heavy-duty WALMART steel-toed $20 boots. However, I always shudder when I see people walking around with flip-flops! Oye vei! I remember one time, up at Lone Pine, we stopped at the visitor's center and I only had tennis shoes and socks on and, as I was walking to the restroom, I walked BY (not on!) some cholla. Yes, they attached themself to my socks. Your instinct is to take your hand and swipe them off. NO, NO!!! They would then attach themselves to your hand! I took some paper towels and swished them off! So, be careful when you are out and about in our deserts or mountains and keep an eye out for cholla! It can be very painful. Cactus Monday for November 15, 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, these chollas can be so dangerous. My husband had one encounter and then we developed a deep respect for them.

    ❤HCM❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking around rocky/sandy areas with flip-flops is a general hazard. Lots of ways to injure yourself in that gear! I keep a roll of duct tape in the car if I'm ever out at the nurseries looking at cacti. Duct tape works wonders for removing thorns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah I learned all about this particular cholla last year when I visited my sister in Phoenix. I went walking around in the cactus with leather sandals on. Dumb I know. But thank goodness they were thick and high on the sides. I was taking pictures and before I knew it I looked down and my feet looked like cholla bear feet. I used some thick sticks to wack it all off my shoes. I barely got poked thank goodness. HCM!

    ReplyDelete