Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Footprints in the sand~Nature Notes~050312




I've been spending a lot of time lately studying animal footprints.  I must admit it...I'm FASCINATED by them! I even went out back this afternoon to study those of our son's Weimeraner and to observe how large they are!  He, after all, is a big dog!  I especially was studying his claw marks.  When I drove up to Garner Valley last Saturday (before heading off to visit my horses), I stopped at the end of Table Mountain Road.  There are lots of trails up there and I was thrilled to see that the wash had been wiped clean by the storm three days before.  I could hardly wait to see what footprints awaited me!  I spotted these right away!  They appeared to come out of the metal under the dirt road, but upon closer inspection, I found that the critter actually crossed the road on the other side and just came down through the wash here.  It didn't go through the culvert.  Hmmmm....I'm going to have to remember that.  I HAVE seen a bobcat up in Garner Valley once who DID go through the culvert and come out on the other side.  I was driving by my cousin's horse ranch and I just happened to glance down at the little wash runoff by her place and see...a BOBCAT!  RIGHT THERE!  By the time I fumbled around and got my camera out, it disappeared under the road, so I turned my car around and waited for it to come out the other side....Hehehehehe!  I GOT several photos of it before it bounded away!  I'll have to dig out those photos someday...Anyway, I followed this wash up a way, but these were the only clear footprints I saw...DARN!  The mountains haven't had any rain since the last storm, and I'm anxious to see what footprints are there for me this weekend!  Nature Notes for May 3, 2012.  To visit Nature Notes, please follow this link:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

3 comments:

  1. Tracks and scat both fascinate me. I think I have a field guide for both somewhere.

    Yes, I'm loving the new lens. Camera goes with me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to send you the pictures I got by my area. Please check your twitter account. There's a big animal up in the backwoods of Anza Valley. I have pics of how large it is. 2 people saw a large black cat-like animal. Either a large mtn lion or bear. I sent you a DM (direct message) on Twitter to find out how to connect the pic to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that you have the kind of soil to record tracks all year..Michelle

    ReplyDelete