Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Santa Rosa mountains flora and fauna~Nature Wonders~052412




I've been spending so much time walking around down here in the desert that I haven't spent much time up by Deep Canyon.  However, Sunday morning I returned to the Santa Rosa mountains visitor center for an opportunity to walk around the center and see some critters.  There were a couple of lizards out early in the morning and the smoke trees were lit by the morning sun.  I love that place!  It's very relaxing.  I went there to buy a snake identification booklet, but they didn't have any.  I always enjoy hearing the quail when I'm up there, although I often don't see them.  So, instead, I look at what I CAN see and learn from that.  Nature Notes for May 24, 2012.  That is an old palo verde with mistletoe in it.  Isn't it an incredible tree?  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:    http://ramblingwoods.com/   Oh, yes, mistletoe DOES grow in the desert.  I've seen many palo verde trees and other trees with it.  I'll see if I can find more this weekend!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautifully serene looking place with all kinds of action going on that might be missed if you weren't there to document it..I just realized that I don't have a guidebook on snakes..I wonder how long that will be...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collared lizard but it's a shame how much of the palo verde the mistletoe has killed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know mistletoe grew in that climate - interesting! Nice photos, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete