Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Owl~Nature Notes~051012


I FINALLY got an owl photo.  He wasn't up in the mountains, or up near Deep Canyon.  Instead, he was sitting on a water tower right across the highway from my school, down in Coachella, CA!  Another teacher told me that he's sitting there every morning, so one morning, since I was early, I drove across the highway and YUP!  There he was!  Isn't he adorable?  He wasn't happy with me taking photos of him (these also were taken with my little Nikon COOLPIX).  I believe he's a little burrowing owl.  I haven't had the time to return, but since I awoke at 3:00 a.m. today, I should have time to check him out.  I've been so busy spying on the pack of coyotes out in the area where I take my morning walk (see http://desertsandbeyond.blogspot.com for their story) that I haven't driven out to see this little guy!  Nature Notes for May 10, 2012.  He got quite upset with me after I took the bottom photo and flew off!  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:    http://ramblingwoods.com/

5 comments:

  1. Nice surprise! Great photos...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, he's a burrowing Owl. I use to see them once a week when I went down to Imperial Valley back in the 1980s & 1990s. They like the Irrigation canal berms. Here is where Ground Squirrels prefer to make their burrows and when they abandind them, the Owls move right on in. Imperial Valley College use to have many there on Campus.

    And yes I think they're about the cuttest Owls next to Elf & Pigmy Owls which nest in Saguaro Gila Woodpecker holes or old long dead Agave flower stalks that a woodpecker has made a hole in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cheryl Ann...how exciting is this... and how sweet he is. I know they are in trouble in some areas and people build them some kind of tunnel to nest in...amazing..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky were you! My favourite is the first shot :)

    ReplyDelete