Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wounded goose and comrades~Nature Notes~051712




Last Saturday morning, before heading up to see the horses, I drove down to our town's park where I used to feed the ducks.  I wanted to take some photos of the roses there, which are blooming,  As soon as I parked, however, I was greeted with a horrendous "honk, honk, honk" of Canadian geese.  Now, it's over 100 degrees ALREADY here in the desert and they should be long gone.  Two of them flew right over me, so I took these photos of them.  Another gentleman was out walking and he joined me and said there was a wounded Canadian goose with a broken wing still in the park and apparently these other ones had stayed behind with it.  I don't know if that is true or not, but there were 3 other geese and one of them did go off and eat with the wounded one.  I haven't been back to the park this week (just haven't had time), but maybe tomorrow morning.  You can see its injured wing in the bottom photo.  I'm almost afraid to go back, not wishing to see it still there in this awful heat!  It was 107 here today, which is very early for us to be having this kind of heat, even here in the desert!  Nature Notes for May 17, 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Oh poor goose. They are very loyal so I wouldn't doubt that some stayed behind for the injured goose. Hope its wing heals but it may never fly again. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really too bad about the wounded goose. 100+ is just too hot for May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sad! Do you know if there is a bird person around who will take it in until it heals, or maybe even fix it?

    ReplyDelete