COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Thursday, July 24, 2014

PTSD?

Thank you, Al, and others, for your kind words from my post about teaching.

One reader over at Al's blog:  http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2014/07/wednesday.html
mentioned that teachers suffer from PTSD.  You know, I'd never considered that, but I think what he said is true.  By the way, two teachers left my school last year due to stress.  One of my colleagues got to the point where she was taking one day off...A WEEK!  She could handle her class of miscreants 4 days, but not 5!

Last year was my hardest year, in the 28 years I've taught.  I had 30 students.  10 of them were REAL behavior problems.  That's 1/3 of the class.  Not just a couple.  TEN!!!  This was the most unmotivated, unconcerned, uncaring group of kids EVER.  They couldn't sit still.  Read a book?  FORGETABOUTIT!  They couldn't pay attention.  "Huh?  What page are we on?  What?  Our math book?"  They couldn't retain information.  I looked into the effects of pesticides and pretty much decided that their brains were fried from pesticide exposure.  Many have parents who work in the fields, harvesting our watermelons, grapes, and other crops that are grown in our valley during the year.  Let's face it...the parents get exposed to the stuff in the fields, it gets on their clothing and hair and shoes, they track it into their homes, the babies and kids are exposed to it, and yes, it is IN their bodies and nervous system.  Maybe that's why they couldn't sit still or focus or pay attention?

Maybe...but the previous year's class COULD sit still, COULD focus, and COULD pay attention, so maybe that theory doesn't work?

A couple of coworkers said, "Bad drugs".  That could be.  I have no idea.  Whatever it was, they nearly did me in.

I used all 10 of my sick leave days, plus about 6 more.  I got docked for the 6 days and didn't even care.  I got excused for 2 days of jury duty and I went skipping outta there.  :-)  Oh, and I was out 6 days due to being tripped by one of my students while they were  out at PE playing soccer.  I ended up on the ground with a concussion.

So, the last day of school, one girl announced that her mother was bringing pizza.  Well, it was a minimum day (1/2 day).  I was anxiously waiting for her to show up as we were cleaning up the room after our chips, cookies, and drinks.  Chairs were stacked.  Desks were cleaned.  The bell rang.  The mother shows up at the door with the pizzas as the kids are RUNNING out of the room!  Most ran back, grabbed a slice, and ran out again.  I never did get to say goodbye to them!  Oh, well...

Back to PTSD...I think that is what I had last year.  I had constant stomach aches.  I was constantly dizzy.  Some mornings I would DREAD getting out of bed.  I would hide under the covers.  I developed an eyebrow that twitched.  I would come home at 4 p.m. and sleep for 2 hours, eat dinner, and go to bed at 7 p.m.  Really, I think the ONLY thing that kept me from going INSANE was the support of my colleagues.  I didn't finally relax until we took one trip to Lake Tahoe and the Sierras and another trip to San Diego.  After the Fourth of July, the eye twitch went away, but now the nightmares have begun.

Yes, teaching today is VERY different than the era that we all went through.  Since my mother was a teacher, she knew most of my principals.  (She, however, taught in downtown Los Angeles.  I went to school in the suburbs.)  If I had misbehaved (and I did once...I was caught swinging from the bars on one of the bathroom stalls in 5th grade...) I was severely dealt with.  That usually involved either a slap on the face or a slap on the butt.  And, those weren't lukewarm slaps.  I misbehaved...a total of ONE TIME.  That was it.  Kids today?  They get away with nearly everything.  And, if a parent calls and complains about a teacher, admin USUALLY backs the parents...don't want "upset" parents, right?  So, we ARE fairly limited as to what we can do to the young upstarts.  And, they know it.  They talk back to us  (a "non-suspendable" behavior).  Defiance?  FORGETABOUTIT....not suspendable.  I DID have one young upstart suspended two years ago when he screamed, "Let's KILL Mrs. Dean!"  (a threat to my life...)  He was suspended for a day.  And, no, he wasn't kidding.  He HATED me because I made him do his work (or tried to...)  This year one of my boys was suspended for a day (again) because he scratched two girls on their arms and then said, "If you tell, I'm going to lie about it!"  They told me, I sent them to the office with the evidence on their arms and also wrote down what he'd said.  He was gone for a day, back the next day.


Let's face it...I'm 62 years old now.  My mom retired when she was 62.  I really need to endure this until I turn 65, then I'm DONE.  Three more LONG years...sigh...until they either beat me or I outlast them.

8 comments:

  1. Although I don't know your personally, I have to say, if there is any way you can retire, DO IT NOW! Life is way too short to endure feeling like you do about your job. Believe me, I know. I was so burned out my stomach was in knots every day driving to work. I had daily headaches, which I thought were sinus related. Quitting my job relieved all my stress and health issues. It just isn't worth it. Three more years is a long, long time!
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching, once thought about it. However, the kids today are horrible. This goes back to the lawmakers. It's AGAINST the law to discipline kids. PERIOD. Parents are stuck with them, teachers are babysitters and then fired when the kid don't learn. MAKES NO SENSE. An award system. My thought. All kids are given rewards when they 1) Dress appropriate, 2) Pay attention in class 3) speak with good English, not talk back. 4) Are on time 5) Respect each other and all adults. 6) Turn in their assignments. Things like this. The rewards are card like sizes. They are dated, signed by the teacher and the student keeps them. When they step out of line, they lose 2 rewards. Now, I suggest, the rewards could be turned in at the END of the year for a nice prize. The prizes could be a bike, tickets to Disneyland, SeaWorld, or maybe a summer swimming pool pass. You want to create good prizes that the KIDS really, really want. They will work for those prizes. Now, how does the teacher get the prizes? CROWD FUNDING!!!!!!! Lots of sites and people will donate a few bucks to help OUR TEACHERS out. The key here is creating such program which the KIDS will love and do their best to achieve. In the end, you, the teacher would have accomplished a couple of things. 1) Good Kids who really like you and will want to help you. 2) A year of great teaching a group of otherwise unruly kids. I hope my ideas help you, I feel for you. Think about the ideas, create a crowd funding campaign ASAP so when school starts, you will know what you can offer for prizes. Keeping in mind, the rewards cards add up. So for example... to get the NEW BIKE it may take 100 reward cards. I know this may take some extras time to create, but I really think you could have a much better year than last. Other prize ideas... iPad, laptop... make the prizes GOOD and something the KIDS really want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for doing the job in the first place. Even under perfect conditions, it is still a ton of work. I know I couldn't do it. Especially not in this day and age.

    I may be mistaken, but I think I remember reading something about an early retirement incentive for teachers who are under Calpers. It could have been a month or a year. I have no idea. Is it possible for you to retire early?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My district hasn't offered an early retirement incentive for 6 years now. Heck, we JUST got a raise...first one in 8 years. They are "financially challenged", I do believe.

      Delete
    2. I hear you, Roe. Believe me, I am REALLY enjoying my time off this summer. However, with 5 horses and a mortgage, it is back to work I go!

      Delete
  4. I had to retire early also. I wasn't a teacher. I was secretary for all of those years and the stress and the back stabbing finally pushed me out. Although I still miss the 'getting up and going to work', I've never felt better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you strength and inner peace as you head back into your classroom. My goal of 20 years was met, and I happily retired last May; I sincerely wish you could too! Gawd, I LOVED teaching until the last 4 years...damn 'education experts and follow the leader politicians'! A very few are getting extremely rich off of tearing public education apart, and when that is exposed to the point it can no longer be denied, our children will be left in the fallout. When veteran teachers are leaving in mass nation wide, there is a REAL problem, folks! Some day the blame can no longer fall on us! OK, done with my rant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it seems that every NON-educator wants to stick their nose into education and tell teachers what to do! Really? How about one of them coming to my classroom and spending a day with 30 3rd graders? NOT going to happen!

    ReplyDelete