COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, July 7, 2014

The horses get their feet trimmed

So, yesterday the farrier came up to the horse ranch.  I arrived at 9:30 a.m., thinking it was early.  Nope, he and his assistant had been there since 7:30 a.m.!!!  Lucille was getting new shoes and several of the owner's horses had already been done.  He finished with my other 4 because none of them were shoes and they don't take that long.  Sunni has gone from being TERRIFIED of farriers to standing still and not moving a muscle for Mr. A..  Sunni's first few experiences with a farrier were NOT pleasant!  My cousin, at one point, recommended her guy and the man was ABUSIVE with Sunni.  All he did was scream at him to "HO!"  After about 45 minutes, he gave up and told me to train him better.  Mr. A., on his first visit, spoke softly to Sunni, walked slowly and gently, and stroked him.  What a difference!  I loved him from that first visit!  And, apparently, so did Sunni! Scout, being a mustang, gave me an ears-back glance, but she also settled right down. He has been trimming them all now for about 3 or 4 years and they all know, respect, and love him!   Here are a few photos.  I didn't wish to intrude, so I kept my distance.
 They had already started on Lucille, who wears shoes, when I arrived.  The little girl next door is watching through the fence.
 I always love to see the back of his truck!
 Lucille got some nice turn-out time after her feet were done!
 Quad is an old pro at this!  Ho, hum!
Even Scout stood still, but she WAS hard to catch!

1 comment: