I was cruising along Saturday morning while on my way to the horses when I spotted a group of hikers just coming off the Pacific Crest Trail where it crosses Highway 74. This is the part of the trail just before Paradise Corner, where Highway 74 splits and goes down into Anza. Paradise Corner has a nice cafe and it is only about 1/2 mile down the road. A lot of hikers will take a break and stop in there.
I did a U-turn and drove back, stopped, and asked them if I could take a couple of photos of their group. In all the years I've traveled that road, this is the first time I've actually seen trail hikers on it.
They were a very nice, polite group of young people. I do believe they said they left the beginning of the PCT April 2. Would it take 7 days to get to Anza from the beginning of the trail? I'm guessing so. After the Anza portion, the trail goes up near Idyllwild and then down Mt. San Jacinto and crosses Interstate 10, then goes up behind Whitewater Canyon.
I remember last year when, during April, the temperatures were in the 100's and it was VERY dry. Fortunately this year, it was in the mid 60's and rainy.
I wished them a safe journey and we went our separate ways.
Good luck, hikers!
Then, on my way back to the desert, I saw a lone male hiker at the same spot. I didn't get his photo, however.
That is something I wished I had done but in these latter years of my life I have to be content with short hikes. There are a lot of good video blogs on YouTube depicting their day by day travels on the PCT and other thru hikes.
ReplyDeleteI use to see hikers on PCT a little past Wrightwood when we lived there. They often would send their supplies ahead of them to the post office in town. I loved when Mike and I would hook up to the trail and walk a bit on it. Beautiful mountain country.
ReplyDeleteI've done several segments of the PCL and always thought that I'd do the whole thing someday. Now, I'm not so sure.
ReplyDelete