COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, April 25, 2016

Some horse time~Finally!

I was able to make it up to the horses Saturday.  The last six months I've only been able to drive up there about once a month.  I'm thinking that after I retire I'll have more time (and energy) to do this.

It had been a month since my last visit and they were ALL in need of grooming, especially to remove their leftover winter coats.  With temps here in the desert forecast to be in the 90's next week, I desperately needed to get up there and brush, brush, brush them.  And, I did.  Boy, you should have seen the hair fly!  I was COVERED with horse hair.  It was too windy to let any of them out of their corrals because a low pressure system was moving in.  The winds here were so bad that they knocked over the wooden fence between us and our neighbors.  So, we only have one fence on the front and that is between us and our neighbor to the west.

Here are some photos of the horses from Saturday.  Quad, my gray horse, is a thoroughbred and it is hard for him to keep his metabolism satisfied.  The ranch owner has now upped his daily ration of pellets because, as you can see, he's quite thin.  The other horses are all fine.  They do need a trim and she'll do that soon.

 Quad looks quite raggedy.
 Can you see all the hair on the ground?
 After his brushing...
 My mustang, Scout.  She doesn't shed out like Quad.  She did have quite a bit of extra hair on her face.
My gelding, Sunni.  See his horrid tail?  That's thanks to Quad who chewed it.

Pretty view of the ranch.

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand the connection between wind and not letting them out of the coral. Could you explain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them spook when the wind blows. Up there, it blows the trees and the leaves make noise and it makes SCARY noises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I understand. Thanks. You learn something every day...

    ReplyDelete