Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"S" ~Sunday Stills Challenge 092510











Almost directly behind Deep Canyon runs another canyon. It is the one where Warner Springs lies. Sometimes hubby and I take that road, Highway 79, I believe, up to Julian for an apple pie run. Along the way sits an old STAGECOACH STATION in Oak Grove. On this trip, I took a friend with me as she had not been on that part of the road before. You know, I'd traveled by this old STAGECOACH STATION many, many times and never stopped to investigate it. There is an old barn right across the highway from it and we do stop there to take photos of the barn, but until this trip, I'd never even looked at the STATECOACH STATION. However, this day, I did and I'm glad I did. I just love old buildings and barns and this old STATECOACH STATION even had a plaque tellings its history. Apparently it was in operation from 1858 - 1861 as part of the Butterfield Stage Line, from St. Louis to San Francisco. Wagons from Yuma, Arizona stopped here. It's a good place for a stop. Oak Grove is a small grove of oak trees in the middle of this canyon and it is very shady. Water flows in the creek behind the STATECOACH STATION. It is also in SAN Diego county! It is only open on weekends now (I'd gone mid-week) and I'm sure with the budget crunch, it's probably closed then, too. I've never seen it open. Its gates have always been locked. But, someday I'll get there and walk around inside and take photos of it!~Sunday Stills Challenge for September 25, 2010...the letter "S". Ed, I'm sorry...I HAD to go back through my archives as I've had bronchitis all week and I didn't take ANY photos at all this past week!!!

1 comment:

  1. nice photos for sunday stills - hope your bronchitis clears up soon, i can sympathise with you as i've had it 4 times :(

    ReplyDelete