Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

FIRE!!!







I heard on our local news that there was a fire yesterday afternoon up on Highway 74. It was at Spring Crest, on the part of Highway 74 across from some lovely mountain cabins. I had completely forgotten about it until I drove by it this morning. I pulled over and drove along the road. BLM fire crews were still there, keeping an eye on things. It smelled AWFUL. The beautiful mesquite trees were burned. Apparently the fire crews responded in record-breaking time and controlled the fire to just 10 acres. Then, I heard on the news this afternoon that another fire broke out further down the road, in Anza, in a residential area. No buildings burned, but several were threatened. All of our mountains are on "high" fire alert. The humidity here today was 4%. Yes. 4%...that's REALLY DRY. While it was 109 degrees, any time you have relative humidity that low, it's easy to cool down. I always keep a bandana with me in my car and I always wet it when I'm done working with my horses. I wipe off my face, neck, and arms, and head home, nice and cool. It's when we get the summer monsoons (one is heading our way next week) that it becomes REALLY uncomfortable. I waved to the crew that was still on site this afternoon...those guys do a super job! And, mountain people greatly appreciate their work and efforts to control fires. THANK YOU, firefighters!

3 comments:

  1. Thata's pretty amazing to stop a fire at 10 acres. Sounds like that monsoon can't some any too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the fire was right off the main road going up the mountain. THANK GOODNESS it was only 10 acres! It's pretty frightening thinking about fires this season, after our extremely wet winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good heavens. I am in awe of the firefighters who are risking their lives in such frightful heat. They are doing a phenomenal job.

    ReplyDelete