Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July monsoon~Nature Notes~072011



We've only had a few days of monsoon weather here this summer and it really wasn't a monsoon. Technically our monsoon weather is tropical and comes up from Mexico. What we had here in July was an Atlantic Ocean storm, an eastern ocean storm. No tropical storms yet and we usually have them by now in July. I know because our daughter's birthday is July 25 and in 1979, our home was flooded during one such summer storm. She was a year old and I was pregnant with our son. My husband was in Los Angeles for business at the time, and I awoke at midnight to the sound of water running through the house. I grabbed my baby, my purse, the bills (I know...) and our German Shepherd and stumbled out to my VW van and drove out of the flooded areas, only to become stranded on a bridge. Fortunately, a fire truck came by and we spent the night at one of the fireman's home (yes...the dog, too). My Siamese cat wisely crawled to the top of our roof, out of harm's way. I did manage, before I left, to "swim" across the street and wake up our elderly neighbor, who profusely thanked me, as he was a heavy sleeper. I also awoke our neighbors on the other side, who were able to save their house full of antiques. Phew..the things you can do when you are 28!!! For YEARS after that, every time it rained, I ran around the house and picked up my shoes and other items on the floor! (much to my husband's annoyance!) Once your house is flooded (we lost all our couches, chairs, bed, and carpeting, and some clothes), you never really recover. We got a SBA loan and replaced everything, but I'm always on edge when the summer monsoon storms come rumbling in...So I await the monsoon season. OOPS! Hurricane on the way...see link: http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-dora-reaches-cat-4-strength-off-mexico-002141603.html To visit Nature Notes, please go to: http://ramblingwoods.com/

4 comments:

  1. What a scary experience. Flooding is No fun. I got a helicopter ride in WA due to flooding and washed out roads. Yet we sure do need the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrifying..I'm glad everyone was OK but I can understand your apprehension that it might happen again...great sky shots..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous skies. What a scary flooding story. I would get nervous, too, if I had had that kind of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Michelle's Nature Notes. Wow, those storms sounds retty scary. And sad to see they do so much damage. Great captures of the moody sky.

    ReplyDelete