I talked about tripods in my last post and there is no way I could have taken this photo or the others I took late that afternoon without one. Period. You can't hold the camera still enough when it is set at 1/30 of a second or lower. I don't take photos below 1/60 of a second without a tripod. Ever. I've learned the hard way...On this afternoon, hubby and I headed over to Minaret Point, above Mammoth, for a sunset view of the Minerets. In case you are interested, there are 17 peaks in the Minarets and most summits were climbed in the 1930's. I just read "Lost in the Minarets" which chronicles the search for Peter Starr, who disappeared on the Minarets in the 1930's and the search for him. I have a lot of respect for these peaks, and especially for Norman Clyde, who persisted in the search for Peter and found his body. The tallest Minaret is named after Clyde and one is named after Starr. Read the book~it is a fascinating read! There are actually 17 of them which are named. We wanted to get out to them early one morning, but got sidetracked doing other things instead. So, that's on our "to do" list for our next trip to the Sierra. SkyWatch Friday for July 8, 2011. To visit SkyWatch Friday, please go to: http://skyley.blogspot.com/
I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Sunset at the Minarets~SkyWatch Friday~070811
I talked about tripods in my last post and there is no way I could have taken this photo or the others I took late that afternoon without one. Period. You can't hold the camera still enough when it is set at 1/30 of a second or lower. I don't take photos below 1/60 of a second without a tripod. Ever. I've learned the hard way...On this afternoon, hubby and I headed over to Minaret Point, above Mammoth, for a sunset view of the Minerets. In case you are interested, there are 17 peaks in the Minarets and most summits were climbed in the 1930's. I just read "Lost in the Minarets" which chronicles the search for Peter Starr, who disappeared on the Minarets in the 1930's and the search for him. I have a lot of respect for these peaks, and especially for Norman Clyde, who persisted in the search for Peter and found his body. The tallest Minaret is named after Clyde and one is named after Starr. Read the book~it is a fascinating read! There are actually 17 of them which are named. We wanted to get out to them early one morning, but got sidetracked doing other things instead. So, that's on our "to do" list for our next trip to the Sierra. SkyWatch Friday for July 8, 2011. To visit SkyWatch Friday, please go to: http://skyley.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very craggy peaks.
ReplyDeleteI love your header. There are many peaks in the Minarets and you've captured them beautifully.
ReplyDelete