After we left the Devil's Postpile (see yesterday's post...), we began to investigate the river which we could hear running alongside the hiking trail. It was moving very quickly and there were falls further down the trail, but remember, we aren't used to hiking at 9,000 feet and we were getting out of breath! Phew! I did see a bridge going over the river, so we walked over it and shot some photos looking out into the meadow beyond. Very quiet and peaceful...ahhhhh! Finally, on our way back to the bus shuttle stop and the ranger station, I noticed a small weather station and a plaque which explained that this was the San Joaquin River. Really? I thought that was very interesting. I just googled San Joaquin River and discovered that the Stanislaus River, Merced River, and Toulumne all flow into it west of the Sierra. Right now, that's a LOT of water, as all of these rivers are flowing full and swiftly due to the heavy snowfall this winter. Anyway, here are some photos of it flowing above Mammoth, along the trail to the Devil's Postpile. Outdoor Wednesday and Watery Wednesday for July 13, 2011. To visit Outdoor Wednesday, please go to: http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/ and to visit Watery Wednesday, please go to: http://waterywednesday.blogspot.com/
I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
San Joaquin River~Outdoor Wednesday and Watery Wednesday~-71311
After we left the Devil's Postpile (see yesterday's post...), we began to investigate the river which we could hear running alongside the hiking trail. It was moving very quickly and there were falls further down the trail, but remember, we aren't used to hiking at 9,000 feet and we were getting out of breath! Phew! I did see a bridge going over the river, so we walked over it and shot some photos looking out into the meadow beyond. Very quiet and peaceful...ahhhhh! Finally, on our way back to the bus shuttle stop and the ranger station, I noticed a small weather station and a plaque which explained that this was the San Joaquin River. Really? I thought that was very interesting. I just googled San Joaquin River and discovered that the Stanislaus River, Merced River, and Toulumne all flow into it west of the Sierra. Right now, that's a LOT of water, as all of these rivers are flowing full and swiftly due to the heavy snowfall this winter. Anyway, here are some photos of it flowing above Mammoth, along the trail to the Devil's Postpile. Outdoor Wednesday and Watery Wednesday for July 13, 2011. To visit Outdoor Wednesday, please go to: http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/ and to visit Watery Wednesday, please go to: http://waterywednesday.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beautiful area fill with so much beauty provided by nature.
ReplyDeleteTHAT'S the part of California that I really adore! Thank you for recharging my soul's batteries today.
ReplyDeleteFEELING RATHER DUCKY
Feeling rather ducky?
Here’s what I would do:
Find a pond or puddle,
One that’s right for you;
Take a sturdy life vest,
Strap it on your back;
Jump into the puddle,
Give a little quack!
© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher
Never-Flowing Fountain
Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteWatery Wednesday post at my page, please drop by if you can. Thanks!