COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

4 weeks of vacation left and school memories

I just realized today that I have 4 weeks of summer vacation left.  WHERE did the summer go?  And, those 4 weeks will be busy ones.  A couple of trips up to the horses, a couple of nights in Idyllwild, a few days in Arizona, and BOTTA BING!  It's back to school.  Ugh.

The nightmares will begin shortly.  One year I dreamed my principal walked into my room and all the kids jumped up and gave him "the finger"!  I took a peek at my class list and I only have 23 kiddos, but 4 of them were... SUSPENDED last year.  One boy told a yard supervisor to "kiss my butt"!  Oh,joy.  I get THIS ONE?  Another one had 3 suspensions last year for shooting a rubber band in class, and throwing crayons.  Another incident involved him rolling around on the floor despite his teacher reminding him to behave...sigh...What is WRONG with kids today?  School isn't just babysitting...

I did read an article which stated that kids need MORE recess, not less.  We only have a 10 minute recess and a VERY LONG morning.  Last year, we went from 8:05 - 11:30, with only a 10 minute recess at 10:20.  The kids had to SIT from 8:05 - 10:20.  That is a VERY long time for 8 year olds.  I have already decided to break up that long spell this year...maybe get them out for a walk around the field or something to get them moving.  The article also stated that after a break, they can concentrate better.  I certainly hope so!  Afternoon session was 12:30 - 2:30, but they had PE at 2:00, so it wasn't as long.  HOWEVER, after lunch, last year's group just could not sit and focus!  They were all over the place..out of their seats, talking,  goofing off (I had 30 kidlets)...It's hard these days to get kids to sit and focus when there is NO science, social studies, art, or music.  It's "embedded" in the stories they read.  Yeah, right!  I always tried to find a video or website where I could show them more information.  It seems you have to "entertain" kids nowadays.

I remember when I was in school.  We sat and listened and did what the teacher told us to do.  And, I LEARNED!  How about you?  What are your school memories?  I was in school from 1958 - 1970, when I graduated from high school and these are a couple of the desks we used:

I LOVED these desks because I could open mine up and HIDE behind it!  He, he!  I actually found a supplier of these up in Lancaster one time.  I forget how much they wanted for each desk, but they weren't cheap.  I want to think about $40 each... The top one is listed on Ebay for $49.99!!!  $50???  Wow...
And, in college, I used to sit in this:
I remember these also: (in the lecture halls)
Nowadays students have desks like this, but with a small cubby inside for their books:  I HATE THEM.
So, you always have two students at one desk and you have to TRY to separate kids who shouldn't be together  (... pulling out hair...)  Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!  And, of course, with 30 students packed into a classroom like sardines, with NO place to sit on the floor, it gets a little cramped.  Remember OUR classrooms, with a whole side of windows?  NO MORE!  My school looks like a prison.  One door in, 1 tiny window...sigh...Remember how we used to decorate the windows with our holiday drawings?  NO MORE.  NO holiday coloring.  Period.

At some point, people need to ask:  "Is this REALLY working for our kids?"  Denying them science, social studies, art, and music?  Is it turning out smarter kids?  (I THINK NOT)  Is it better for them?  (I THINK NOT)...but that's a rant for another day!   :-)

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you 110%. Hang in there you don't have much farther to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those desks well & yes hiding behind the flip up top. I don't know a whole lot about Kids & stuff but from the way you describe todays classrooms maybe it's just as well I don't. I don't see myself as an old Fuddy Duddy but I do think many our OUR ways were better by far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just sad that music and art are not a part of a child's learning experience.. ie: Mr Holland's Opus.. and no social studies? how do they learn about the world around them, so very, very sad... My mother taught for 25 years, it was an eye opener, even then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I graduated from HS in 1968, so I remember all of those desks. It seems like they are doing everything backwards and creating an environment that is harder for both students and teachers. My school experience wasn't pleasant, but that is because of my family life.

    I was always much too smart for my elementary school age groups and there was no mechanism in my school district (Long Beach), to deal with it. I dealt with it by avoiding school whenever I could. If you are interested, here is a link to blog post relating to my eighth grade experience. If you don't have the time and/or inclination to read it, that is not a problem at all.
    http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2009/08/flunking-8th-grade.html

    ReplyDelete