COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Monday, November 23, 2015

A few questions

So, now that I've decided to retire at the end of June, I have a couple of questions.  I'll have health insurance provided until I'm 65, then Medicare will kick in.

So, how and where does one get GLASSES?  My eyesight is horrible.  I have progressive lenses for distance and reading, but I'm finding that that middle computer area is a problem for me.  Where do you go for an eye exam and GLASSES?  My current pair cost $900, with the anti-glare finish (I could do without that...) and the transitions lenses (I could do without that, too), but, still, a decent pair would cost me over $500.

Second, what about dental?  I have a mouth full of cavities (I have soft teeth)...Mexico? I'm going in for a visit this fiscal year and again next year, and that will have to be IT here in the United States, right?

Is there a Medicare supplement that covers glasses and dental?

Thanking you in advance for your answers!
~Cheryl Ann~

5 comments:

  1. Well I have Kaiser and use them for the state required eye-exam. With my prescription in hand I go to Costco for the glasses. Now just recently I wanted a certain frame for a second pair. I went online and found them there. As I wanted this second pair to be made to the specs of my old prescription (don't ask why) I wondered if there was going to be an issue. No problem and I got these glasses even less than Costco. It seems online places don't give a hoot about California laws regarding current two year or less eye exam requirements. Also, I do without transition lenses. I never could adapt and I save money. I'd rather have dedicated reading glasses. As for the dental, get it all done BEFORE you lose your current plan when you retire. Also, you mentioned Mexico. I have friends who walk across the border to have their glasses made. Some even for dental work but I'd draw the line on having dental work done there. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dental coverage through my former school district, but glasses come out of my pocket. No coverage there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best bet is Costco for glasses. Insurance is available (Anthem?) but it doesn't cover much more than an exam every two years. As for dental, that's also something you will need to cover yourself. Talk with your dentist now to see what can be repaired, replaced, filled or ?? before you retire and district insurance stops. Even after Medicare kicks in, there is no dental or vision coverage there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you aren't traveling and choose a medicare advantage plan, many have some of that coverage.
    We self pay, last year I got an eye exam and glasses with progressive lenses, transitions, and antiglare for under $400.
    We go to Mexico for dental now. Dental is the most expensive thing.
    If you follow any blogs, look at Wheelingit. She describes the experience and guides you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a Mexican town (Los Algodones) about 7 miles south of Yuma, where TONS of snow birds and other folks go to for dental work and glasses. It is safe, first class quality, and much cheaper (about 70%) than in the US. Google it and you'll see a ton of positive reviews. I haven't gone there, but I know many that have.
    It's probably a couple of hours from where you live, but it might be worth it to take an occasional road trip down there.

    ReplyDelete