Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

FIRE in my mountains!

My mountains are on fire.  It started a couple of days ago up by Mountain Center, which is at the turnoff from Highway 74 to Idyllwild.  It was windy that day...need I say more?  What started out at 5 acres went to 25, then to 50, then to 1,000, then to 2,500.  It is now at over 9,000 acres and it has taken on a life of its own.  There is NOTHING to stop it from heading down Andreas Canyon, Murray Canyon, and Palm Canyon (the Palm Springs Indian canyons).

I headed up that way today anyway to go to the horses' weekly lesson with their trainer and I took a few photos before their lesson.  Once their lessons were over, I headed back toward Idyllwild.  I figured I'd drive as far as I could and take photos.  There were quite a few other folks pulling over alongside the road taking photos and talking with one another.  I met a nice gentleman from Anza who told me that last night the sky glowed red.  Ugh.

The smoke from this fire is quickly filling up the Coachella Valley with smoke.  I mean, it's BAD.  There were ashes all over our cars this morning and the dogs don't want to go out.  I drove out to COSTCO this afternoon and took additional photos with my little Nikon Coolpix.  The sun was red from all the smoke.

Hubby is off Thursday, so we may grab our cameras and head back up the mountain that afternoon.

Here are a few pics from this morning and noon.  This fire is a pretty scary thing.  As some of you know, these mountains have VERY few roads on them.  Basically, the fire is just going where it wants to go...sigh...I took the first photo in the morning.  The others I took about 12:30 p.m.  What a difference a few hours made...

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That is terrible and so sad. We are about 50 miles away (as the crow flies). I can still clearly see the smoke. I got some pretty amazing shots last night as the sun was going down. I'd like to send a few to you. I'll look around for your email address on here. Just like me, I know you want to get close and take some photos, so be careful!
    If you don't have an email add. on here and you want me to send pics, please send it to me.
    ptoverdue5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking pretty bad. With no rain in sight there is just no stopping it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is with all of these terrible fires? The west is too darned dry. Hope rain comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are here in Idyllwild at our daughters cabin. It is almost 3:00 a.m. and we are just getting to bed. Have been trying to make sure all brush is removed, dead leaves and grass is cleared away from the cabin. Up in a few hours to work more.

    ReplyDelete