Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blue jay~Sunday Stills Challenge~012212




We have a scrub jay who lives in our neighborhood and yes, I do feed him.  He's been around now for nearly 3 years.  He SHOULD be up in the pinyon forest of our local mountains, about 10 minutes away "as the crow flies".  His relatives are up there and I see them all the time.  He disappeared for a couple of weeks last spring and I figured he went to find a mate, but he returned.  I fed him all summer, as the desert is very hot at 200 feet elevation.  He now looks for me and when he sees my car drive up in the driveway in the afternoons, he waits for me at the front fence.  I enjoy watching his antics, as you can see!  He's around this morning already.  Sometimes he's the first bird to come to the feeding stations, but on other mornings, he waits until the doves are done and then swoops in for his peanut, acorns, or black oil sunflower seeds.  He's quite entertaining!  Sunday Stills Challenge for January 22, 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Those jays are smart, like all their corvid cousins. Also very entertaining. I have a slew of them at my feeders regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story! Your jay knows where to find the food. Cute post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He knows when he's onto a good thing!

    ReplyDelete