Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cahuilla overlook~Nature Notes~January 19, 2012



Deep Canyon is slowing revealing her secrets to me.  Last weekend, I stopped at the Cahuilla overlook and walked around and read the markers.  I'm learning the differences between yuccas and agaves.  The bottom photo is from the yucca family and it is the Mojave yucca.  I've learned that yuccas have lots of white blossoms on them and they also have stringy fibers on them, but agaves don't.  The agaves have different leaves, which are much larger and thicker than the yucca ones.  Slowly, slowly, I'm learning more about this amazing environment, which is only 10 minutes from my house, which is on the desert floor.  This environment is up at about 2,000 feet and occasionally gets snow, but not much this year.  Nature Notes for January 19, 2012. To visit Nature Notes, please follow this link:  http://ramblingwoods.com/  It is the 6th year for Nature Notes, so be sure you stop by and check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, fantastic photos! I love the tree against the sky, very neat!
    I hope your New Year is going well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers and fruit of the yucca are edible. I really like to chew on the petals for their moisture.

    Great view from up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading a book about native american tribes and it mentioned Cahuilla ...now I will have to try to find that again..Beautiful area. I just realized that the plants somebody planted along the pond on one side are yucca...wonder why they would plant that here in western NY...I would love to come and explore there....Michelle

    ReplyDelete