Anyway, it was a delightful drive. As soon as I started driving up Highway 74, the temperature dropped. There was a nice, cool breeze. I drove through the campground at Pinyon Flats and there was only 1 camping spot occupied. I'm checking it out in case we decide to camp there overnight during the summer. There is water at the campground and also trash cans, but shade is at a premium. NO INTERNET either. I'd have to take a couple of books with me. Their toilets are fairly clean, but they aren't flush.
The ranch was actually buzzing with hummingbirds! There must have been 25 or so of them at 4 different feeders. Cathy, the ranch owner, was telling me that these are some of the babies who stick around. They must really like it there at the ranch!
All the horses were fine. They have now shed their winter coats and are nice and shiny! Even Lucille is shiny! I love their summer coats!
Back home to 104 degrees...ugh. Only 10 more days of school and then...FREEDOM!
That's my big, red thoroughbred mare, Gigondas. See how shiny she is? She was more interested in food than me (typical)... Hmmpphhhfffffhhhhh!
This is Pepsi. She's the only one of the 4 ranch dogs allowed out by the horses. She is about 1 1/2 years old.
Even Lucille is shiny! I love the horses' summer coats!
I should clarify: It was 104 in the desert. Up at the ranch, it was in the mid 70's! :-) That's why I keep my horses up there...up out of the desert heat!
They do look great...but 104!!!! Yikes!!!..:)JP
ReplyDeleteNice Bighorn header photo. With hot temps like that I think I would be bunking with the horses for sure.
ReplyDeleteI keep meaning to tell you I really like your header photo. As you know, I spend a lot of time in areas where these majestic creatures frequent. I haven't seen a single one of them in years!
ReplyDeleteThere is a "bird" store in Julian (they don't actually sell birds). They have several humming bird feeders on the porch and they are swarming them!
Yep, Lucille is looking pretty darn good.