I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Thursday, March 5, 2015
Birds in flight
I really enjoy photos of birds in flight. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at taking those kinds of photos, but I'm learning. And, I have to shoot through a window. I took these in the back yard, through the kitchen window. There is a nice palo verde tree which sprouted up from seed (I didn't plant it) and the birds love to gather there and gossip about the neighborhood! It will provide us nice shade during the summer months for our bedroom. Anyway, I just keep plugging away, trying to get some nice action shots...sigh...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You have pretty birds at your feeder. At home in Illinois we usually only see house sparrows and doves. We do have several families of cardinals and red winged black birds to spice it up a little.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, we have crows too but no ravens.
All my bird's in flight are shot at 800 ISO or higher but usually 800 is enough to begin stopping bird wings in flight. I use auto-focus as well. A tri-pod can be useful. ISO 800, set your camera up on a tripod & zoom in close to where most of the action is going on at the feeder. Auto-Focus in that spot then take your camera off Auto-Focus. Any time a bird flies into that pre-determined focus area just shoot. This way your camera doesn't have to waste time trying to auto-focus. You don't even have to look through the viewfinder & it's better if you don't. With both eyes free of the camera just watch for incoming birds & fire when they enter your focus zone. With a bit of practice like anticipating a bird's direction of flight your photos will get better & better. After awhile you can take the camera off the tripod & use your newly learned bird savvy to catch the little rascals in flight free-hand...
ReplyDeleteNice photos! It looks like a dog fight for food!
ReplyDelete