I HAD to drive up the mountain to the horse boarding ranch to pay them for my horses' board and I was already a week late. Oops. In my confused mental state, I really didn't even know what day it was!
For some reason, I was really wanting to get up into the mountains, so I left before hubby. I was driving along when I spotted a herd of bighorn sheep feeding right off the highway. I was able to see a turnout, so I stopped and parked my car and crossed the road.
There were 8 of them, including a large ram. He was guarding the herd. They didn't seem to mind me standing there, taking photos of them. I didn't wish to get too close to them, and he wouldn't allow me to do that anyway. So, I just stood and watched them fro my viewpoint and took photos. I could actually hear them tearing at the vegetation! There were several females and some "youngsters" in the herd, including some younger males. Something spooked them and the ram gave the signal and they moved further down the hill, but still within my viewing range. Boy, when he said, "MOVE!", they all moved! I wish I had a video of that. They all appeared healthy and I stayed for a while longer. The entire time I was watching them, cars went whizzing by. I believe the ones going uphill could see me, but the ones whizzing downhill probably couldn't because I was down a little hill. I'm always amazed by the blissful ignorance of people who look but who do not see.
I know...bad light. I was facing toward the sun and there was no way I could get behind them.
The big ram. He was keeping an eye on me!
A better photo of them...
This young one had pulled some vegetation and was eating it.
The big ram finally gave the order to move and off they went!

This is about the 5th or 6th time I've seen bighorns now up in our local mountains. We lived here nearly 40 years and in those previous 40 years, I only saw them twice. Must be a bumper crop this year!
ReplyDeleteCheryl Ann
What a great sighting, and so close. Glad you're feeling better.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are feeling better. That male Bighorn was really keeping an eye you. Beautiful photos of them.
ReplyDelete