The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bighorn sighted, but not by me! SOOC Sunday 013011




...sigh...no, these photos were taken at the Living Desert Reserve in Palm Desert, at the end of Deep Canyon. They have a captive herd of bighorn there and this young female was out eating her alfalfa one morning when we were there. The keeper had just put alfalfa out at various spots up on their hill. I didn't see the rest of the herd, so I'm not sure where they were! I drove up Highway 74 yesterday and stopped at the Paradise Corner Cafe for some breakfast. I was eating at the counter when a gal stopped in and sat down next to me. Turns out, she was from Missouri and had just driven up about 10 minutes behind me, on 74. SHE saw a bighorn sheep. It crossed the road right in front of her and then started grazing right off the road! ACK! I'm so envious! I did spot two of them grazing off the road last fall and I stopped to take photos of them while cars zipped around me and never even slowed down! They are very difficult to see among the rocks unless you look for the white on their rumps! So, she was indeed lucky! Maybe I'll see one this morning? SOOC Sunday for January 29, 2011. To visit SOOC, please stop by: http://www.murrieta365.com/


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what luck! I've never seen one in the wild. Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive aren't they?? Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be an awesome moment when you see such a magnificent animal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Beautiful shots! The sheep is awesome. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredible. I have also never seen one of these amazing animals in the wild....but apparently they live around here:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great shots, Cheryl Ann. I've never seen any in the "wild", either.

    ReplyDelete