Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vulture~Nature's Notes 012711











I haven't seen any vultures up in or near Deep Canyon now for several months. I did see a flock? murder? of crows a couple of weeks ago. There were over 50 of them and they swirled in the thermals above me! I'd NEVER seen that before! But, not one vulture sighting...Part of that is due to the fact that I only travel up the road on weekends, as I work all week. I'm anxious to return this weekend and check out the wildflowers along the road. But, I'll also keep my eyes open for vultures. I found this one in the bird aviary at the Living Desert Reserve. He/she was preening and I was surprised by this, but, after all, vultures are birds and birds do preen, right? I like the bottom one...he/she seems quite proud of himself/herself! "Look! I'm all clean now!" Nature Notes for January 27, 2011. To see other participants in Nature Notes, please visit: http://ramblingwoods.com/




6 comments:

  1. I love to watch the vultures soar. Look forward to seeing some colorful wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vultures are amazing in flight, aren't they. We have turkey vultures here in the summer. Very impressive, with those 5-6 foot wingspans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh with a face only a Mommy turkey vulture could love and their only defense is vomiting....awwww... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look a bit like an evil character from a Harry Potter novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugly as sin , but necessary to the environment. Boom & Gary of The Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting vulture country for the winter and they continually cause me delight when I see them souring through the sky, circling, watching.

    ReplyDelete