Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Orchid Tree~Macro Flowers Friday 012811


I've been trying out my newly-acquired knowledge of macro settings this week. I walk by this orchid tree at my school every day and I finally stopped to admire one of the blossoms. I walked all the way around it and settled on the best angle after school, when all the kiddos went home (...or most of them!) Isn't it gorgeous? I'm going to keep my eye on this tree and snap some pics every now and then. Macro Flowers for Friday, January 28, 2011. Oh, I found out its name. It is the Hong Kong Orchid tree, bauhinia blakeana. Our local desert water district has a calendar and it is featured on the May calendar page. It describes them as being very tough and says it can withstand both heat and cold. I'm thinking, "Yeah, and 8 year olds as well!" That's because this one is right in the middle of our quad at school and kids walk by it every day. Hmmmm....I'm going to have to look for one to buy for my front yard!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! gotta love that color...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this one. My purple orchid trees are still in hibernation. But the acacia has started blooming.

    ReplyDelete