The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Living Desert Reserve~grass~Mellow Yellow Monday 012411

Hubby and I took a photography class down in Anza-Borrego park on Saturday. The morning was about macro photography and the afternoon was panorama. And, the first thing the instructor said was, "Turn your camera to manual setting! NOW!" Huh? Manual? What's that? I just point and shoot. My hands started sweating, my face turned white, and I gulped. I'd never used the manual setting on my Nikon before (frankly, I hadn't used it since our kids were about three years old and they are now 30 something!)... So, yesterday hubby and I were anxious to try out our (my) newly acquired skills....er...uh...forget it! I, of course, immediately gave up after several overexposed shots and total frustration. Back to "mountain" setting or "flower" for me. I'm reading up on the manual setting for my Nikon and I'm anxious to try it, but I have a real big learning curve here. I'm going to set up my tripod this afternoon in my front yard and hopefully focus on some of my bougenvillas there which are blooming and try the manual setting again. I notice if I put it on aperature priority, it is taking 5 second shots! ACK! Isn't that a long time? I have a 55-200 lens and hubby told me to quit using the telephoto, so I may just switch to his 18-55mm one. Anyway, I saw these grasses at the Living Desert yesterday as we were leaving and stopped to take a quick shot of them. Mellow Yellow Monday for January 24, 2011.

5 comments:

  1. i seldom use manual setting, too.:p too lazy to learn. your header photo is stunning. good luck on your new photography skills--practice makes perfect, as they say.:p

    http://savorthebite.blogspot.com/2011/01/mellow-yellow-monday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh and in tears, I too will also feel like what you feel because I am very okey with those already set scene in our camera. I do not use a lot of manual setting, I may try to tinker it later too. Like your shot!! Would love to hear what you come up with your classes. Happy Monday!
    Street/Store signs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shot!

    My Mellow Yellow, hope you can drop by. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot and congrats on becoming a purist. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most of us would like to get off manual. I try once in a while. Your grass shot is striking.

    ReplyDelete