The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cropping and emotional attachment~Ruby Tuesday and Creative Exchange for January 25, 2011






At the Saturday class, our instructor was discussing how one gets emotionally detached to our photos. I got very attached to this photo of some bougenvilla blossoms which were blooming on the fence out in our front yard and I took this photo. I sent my work, proudly, to my instructor and received a very curt reply. I see now what she was talking about...that emotional attachment. I thought my photo was pretty and was creative. She thought it was unfocused and asked if it was windy that day! HUH? Yes, there was a slight breeze, but I didn't think it was out of focus...I was really confused and frankly, a bit crushed. So, I cropped it and cropped it and came up with this final one. What do you think? Which photo do you like best? Top? Middle? I forgot to mention that I sent her the middle one. Bottom? Do ANY of them give you that "wow" feeling? I would really appreciate your feedback! Or, am I now so emotionally invested in this photo that I can't think straight??? I liked the sort of transluscent feeling to the original one...how the sunlight came through one of the leaves and you can see the stamen through it, but maybe that's just my own feelings? I liked the blue sky background in the top one, but she said it was too fuzzy...??? Which one do you like best? Ruby Tuesday for January 25, 2011 and Creative Exchange for January 25, 2011. To visit Creative Exchange, please go to: http://www.lgordonphotography.com

11 comments:

  1. I know, not perfect focus gets me all the time.

    My vote for the Bougainvillea is shot #2. It looks almost like a painting - a very nice effect. I miss those in San Diego...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. A conundrum. Frankly, I like the top photo. Maybe cropped a little but not as much as the 2nd one. Why? I love the way the dark bokeh in the background makes that red POP - gives it balance. I also love the subtle deeper colors of the leaves to the left, which sort of ground the bright red of the bougainvillea. Man, that's one pretty plant. Focus is overrated when you simply love a photo. I've been similarly criticized but hey....if you love it, flaunt it anyway. It's just her one opinion and yours counts just as much. IMHO. !!!! Okay, that's my .02 and I think your original photo is just gorgeous - stunning - just the way it is. The lighting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about emotional attachment to a photo! I took 4 online workshops and was often taken aback by the instructor's remarks. I learned, though! The color of these blossoms is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really like the top one & the bokeh is great, in my opinion... I can see the other 2 are a lil outa focus, but they're still great!
    I really need to take a photography class... but I need some spending dough in order to do that!!! LoL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like them all Cheryl Ann, but I think the middle one is my favorite. I suppose I can see what your instructor meant about the focus, but I cannot tell you how many times I purposely throw mine out of focus to get a certain look. I think each is beautiful and you have much to be proud of with these.
    Thank you so much for sharing this today at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a wonderful day.

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the first one. The red looks beautiful against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the middle one...it really shows the contrasts between light and shadow...I also love the bright color.

    The first one is nice and I love that bokeh, but it really is a bit dark for my tastes.

    In the end it doesn't matter if your teacher liked the pic....as long as it is close to your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the top one best too...the composition and contrast is just lovely. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting attached, as long as we know why and can still accept feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RED IS THE HUE

    A touch of scarlet, a bit of red,
    Ribbons of crimson around your head;
    Everyone looking for color knows
    Red is the hue that defines the rose.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Scarlet Door

    ReplyDelete