Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

San Andreas fault at Keys Point, Joshua Tree Natl. Park











Keys Point is a great place to visit and hubby and I stopped there on Saturday to view the Coachella Valley far below us. The point is over 5,000 feet and offers a wide view of our valley, including the San Andreas fault, which runs through the Indio Hills and Sky Valley (see first two photos). I have friends who have a ranch out in the Indio Hills and I used to board one of my horses there! But now I'm thinking, is that where the fault runs? Or, is it at the base of the mountains by Joshua Tree. I've always believed that it ran through Indio Hills because as you drive through Thousand Palms Canyon, you can see the uplifted cliffs, but I could be wrong. Please let me know if I am! Anyway, we always enjoy stopping at Keys Point because it gives us a completely different view of our world! :-)




4 comments:

  1. We were just wondering the same thing. Hope you find out. Man, is the sky ALWAYS that blue there? You live in such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's the fault. Great post!!! Boom & Gary of the vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Keys Point view is awesome! Haven't been there in years. Love the ranch also. Not exactly sure of the fault location. I'm sure some USGS map will show it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runs right through my backyard...

    ReplyDelete