Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oldest home in Rancho Mirage~Our World Tuesday~121311








I was home sick yesterday after being exhausted all weekend.  SOMETHING is going around and now I have a sore throat and cough.  Not good.  I stayed home all day, except for running out briefly in the morning to buy some cat food.  I stopped by the Rancho Mirage park and wandered over to an old house there.  I stood and read the descriptions and realized that this is the oldest home in the city.  And, I noticed that one of the date palms there had a ladder on it, which is chained to the tree.  Have you ever wondered how the workers got to the top of the date palms?  With ladders, like this one!  I see them all the time down in the lower end of the valley and was surprised to see this one.  I'll let you read about the house.  I looked closely at the tile roof, since we have one, too.  But, this one was 3 layers thick and the tiles are cemented together.  Builders don't do that anymore!  And, look at the rock fireplace...sigh...I wish we had one of those right now!  I have to run out to the store again later, to buy some groceries and soup, so I'll take some pics of our overnight snow.  Our World Tuesday for December 13, 2011.  To visit Our World Tuesday, please go to:  http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. That palm tree is sure dangerous to mess with I guess.. I'm not sure if I can dare to climb such.. the park is really interesting :)

    Visiting from OWT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. So much in California I'd like to see. When I lived there 2005-2007 I religiously watched Huell Howser and wanted to go everywhere of every single episode. My druthers are central and northern. I've seen enough of southern CA. Well - not enough but you know what I mean. :)

    Get your t-shirts yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Ranchito. The ladders remind me of the lookout fire ladders used on large Ponderosa Pines in the old days on the North Rim.

    We got some snow last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was interesting. So much new info to absorb and I love learning about things I hadn't known about before.

    ReplyDelete