Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Saguaros~Nature Notes~122211




We don't have saguaros in our lower Colorado desert, near Palm Desert.  We have agaves and yuccas, but no saguaros unless they are brought in and transplanted.  Many are, especially in some of the resorts.  However, over here in Arizona, there are many, many saguaros.  Even over here at the Desert Ridge resort, there are a lot and I went out yesterday morning for an early walk.  There was a HUGE one down by the wash and I was eager to see if it was still there.  Yup.  It was.  Last trip, there was a cactus wren with a nest in it.  Yesterday morning, however, it was quiet...no birds there (see 2nd photo).  And, the huge one up by the lobby was vacant, too, although it has been the home of many birds (see top photo).  I always love to look at the saguaros and see how different they all are.  I took the last photo yesterday afternoon out by Lake Pleasant.  Home today!   :-)  Nature Notes for December 22, 2011.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know what they were called, but it is what I think of when I think of the southwest.. I hope you get to see some birds before you leave...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting pictures. Too bad you gotta go home now. Enjoy Christmas, and Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sculptures by nature! How fun to check for birds' nests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saguaros are so interesting - so many different shapes yet so recognizable as saguaros. Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the saguaros are as different as people.

    ReplyDelete