Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Snow and mountains and NEED to get out into nature~Nature Notes~121511






One of the followers of my blog stated that it must be nice to be able to just get in my car and GO!  Well, I don't always have that chance, but I'd been home sick all weekend and yesterday, after sleeping in until 8:00 a.m., I really NEEDED to get outdoors.  I can only sit at home for so long.  I believe that one of the reasons I keep my horses up in the mountains is to have an excuse to drive up along the mountain highway and to have a change of scenery.  And, yes, when I looked out yesterday and saw that it was snowing, I just KNEW that I had to go up in the mountains and see it and smell the wet earth and listen to the silent flakes hit my windshield.  It's just something I HAD TO DO.  PERIOD.  Did you know that, out of the multiple intelligences, there is now a nature one?  I must be an example of that.  (multiple intelligences refers to how people learn...) Yes, I'm visual, but I'm also kinesthetic (using my hands).  I constantly tap my pencil.  I ALWAYS have a pen or pencil in my hand.  I was a pianist and I still have the muscle memory to play pieces I learned 50 years ago!  But, I also have an additional intelligence, and that is the nature one.  I've always LOVED to be outdoors (even if I'm a blonde, with freckles, and fair skin....so I have to be careful).  I think the only time I wasn't out with a camera, out exploring nature, was when I was pregnant and then had two small children...I've always rescued dogs, cats, and now horses.  At one time, I had finches, lovebirds, and canaries, much to my husband's distress!  So, for me, nature is de-stressing, but there is also a real NEED there.  What about you?  Do you have a NEED to get out into nature?  Photos are from up and near Deep Canyon yesterday.  It snowed that morning, but by 8:00 a.m., it was clear enough to drive up the mountain road.  I ran into 3 CALTRANS snow plows going up and down the mountain, keeping the road clear.  To visit other nature enthusiasts, please go to:  http://ramblingwoods.com/

3 comments:

  1. I hope this bug doesn't linger on and on for you Cheryl Ann.. you know I need to get out no matter what the weather even though some weather is really challenging...lovely photos even if it isn't sunny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will put off going out into cold wet weather if possible, but only for so long. Then I NEED to get out into Nature. The snowy mountains are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're feeling better now. Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete