I dedicate this blog to my father, who first put a camera in my hands when I was 12 and who took me to many of the places that I love today.
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.
Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
horse time and Deep Canyon
I finally headed up the mountain early this morning for a lesson with my trainer. ALL of my horses are in training...sigh...not an inexpensive project! But, they need it. Scout needs to learn some manners, and Quad does, too. Off the track thoroughbreds, like Quad, are sometimes just treated like a number...they get exercise, training, walking, but don't really learn basic horse manners, like how to not barge through a gate. He's pretty laid back and mellow, but he DOES have his moments, like with my trainer today! He wanted to bust out and go running in the arena and she said, "NO! You have to work first!" Hmmmpppfffff! He didn't like that! So, he needs to learn that he works first, then he gets to play! Sunni, on the other hand, is "Mr. Mellow" with regards to his training, but any sudden noise used to send him running off. I noticed today that he only gave one little flinch and settled right down. Top photo is my thoroughbred chestnut mare, Gigondas, who was rescued of a slaughter-bound feedlot in WA state. She's made a LOT of progress. And, she REMEMBERS her lessons! I do believe that someday she'll make an excellent trail horse. It was such a BEAUTIFUL day driving up the mountain. There were high clouds, it was warm, the air was clean....aaaahhhhhhh! I stopped at my favorite dirt side road to take some photos because the morning light was so breathtaking. Here are some horse pics and photos from Deep Canyon today. It really helped me to get back up in the mountains today. I feel so much better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your chestnut mare is a beauty. She sure doesn't look like a rescue. You've done a great job with her.
ReplyDeleteYup. She was on a slaughter-bound feedlot. I believe she was culled from a thoroughbred breeder's lot up in WA state. Her bloodlines are unknown as she has no racing tattoo...so sad, as are the stories of so many horses who end up on slaughter-bound feedlots. I'm so glad I was able to rescue her. She deserves a chance.
ReplyDeleteNice to get a mountain, and horse, fix.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about getting back into nature and feeling better. Works for me, too. Love your horses!
ReplyDelete