Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Monday, February 20, 2012

More from the Living Desert ~ Our World Tuesday~022112

The Living Desert Reserve is located at the bottom of Deep Canyon and I really should post more about it on this blog. Please see yesterday's post about the Cahuilla Indian hut. I've been a member there since I was pregnant with our daughter, who is now 33.  There was a devastating flood in the summer of 1976 and much of the reserve was washed away.  Cement berms have now been built to prevent this and in 1979 we had another flood and much of the preserve was protected.  Our own house wasn't, however.  My husband was away on business and I was at home alone with a 1 year old and I was pregnant with our son.  I grabbed both babies, our German shepherd, my purse, and a flashlight, put the babies and dog in our van, and walked across the street to wake up my elderly neighbor.  Then, I came back across our flooded street and woke up the neighbors next door because they had a house full of antiques.  My Siamese cat was smart enough to head for the roof, so I left her alone and headed out to find higher ground.  I found some, but then was stranded.  A firetruck came by and rescued all of us and we all spent the night at a local fireman's house.  The water and mud had gone 18" up on every house in our neighborhood and caused a lot of damage.  This was 3 years after the "100 year flood" of 1976...sigh...for years after that, every time it rained, I ran around the house and picked up ALL our shoes!  We lost everything that was on the floor...couches, chairs, our bed, shoes.  We got a SBA loan and new furniture.  I no longer panic in the desert monsoons, but I always keep a watchful eye out toward Deep Canyon, which is to the south of our home.  We actually didn't get water from Deep Canyon, but from Carrizo Canyon, which is to the west of DC.







Anyway, the Reserve is a wonderful place to take the family.  I've watched it grow since 1976.  It has grown from just a few buildings to a place now filled with plants and animals and lots of exhibits.  It really is very educational.  We are now taking the grandson there so that he can enjoy it.  Here are some pics from this weekend at the Living Desert.  Our World Tuesday for February 21, 2012.  To visit OWT, please go to:   http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. These kinds of reserves are such special places to share with the generations, like you do.

    What a devastating experience to be in a flood. Yet better to loose some "things" than life.

    ReplyDelete