Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Snow on the mountains~Nature Notes~022312




Our local mountains got a LOT of snow in a storm last week and over the three day weekend, I headed up into them. I was actually surprised to still see snow several days after the big storm.  There are Ponderosa pines way up past Deep Canyon, in Garner Valley, and I wanted to see what the snow looked like up there.  Actually, there was snow starting at the pinyon forest, and then all the way up.  The pinyons grow at about 2,000 feet, but this is up at about 4,500 feet.  It looks like there was some excitement in the snow in the last photo.  I love driving through this part of the mountains, as we used to own 5 acres up there, when I was pregnant with our daughter.  Of course, we couldn't afford to keep it, so every now and then I drive by the lot, which is the second photo down.  It is so relaxing to drive by and hear the woodpeckers and the red tailed hawks.  There is a dead end street at one point and SOMEDAY I'm going to take my backpack and go hiking up there.  There are also rattlesnakes in this area!  It won't be this weekend~we are heading down to Orange County, but we'll be driving by the horse ranch, so I'll be able to stop and see them.  Nature Notes for February 23, 2012. To visit Nature Notes, please go to:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

5 comments:

  1. I can see why you're sad that you couldn't keep your land, but I hope you get a chance to hike..being careful for the rattle snakes. There is snow out my window again..and then it melts and then it snows.. Crazy..Have a wonderful week Cheryl Ann... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you'd want to drive up past where you used to live, a gorgeous landscape, and the touch of snow is a nice highlight. The Ponderosa pines are my favorite tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful landscape and the snow makes it look so peaceful. I can see why you liked that lot. I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos - I love seeing natural settings from around the country. It's always interesting to see what's in other's "backyards".

    Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! If I want snow, I can always drive to it. I don't want to live in it...

    ReplyDelete