Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Twin agaves~Nature Notes~020912

I was driving up Highway 74, along Deep Canyon last weekend when I looked up and saw these twin agaves.  Fortunately there wasn't anybody behind me and I was able to just stop and shoot!  There are many agaves left over from last year, along with yuccas.  The difference is that the agaves shoot straight up and then the blossoms appear, where the yuccas have blooms all the way up.  Yuccas also have the curly fibers on their leaves, while agaves do not. Finally, yucca leaves are long and slender, while agaves are more fat and fiborous, like aloes.  I'm afraid that the lack of rainfall this year will result in a less-than-spectacular showing of wildflowers, agaves, and yuccas, but who knows?  Nature Notes for February 9, 2012.  To stop by Nature Notes, please go to this link:   http://ramblingwoods.com/

3 comments:

  1. What a pretty capture of the agaves. I hope the wildflowers appear and that the lack of rainfall was not too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are rained out and others not enough..the weather has been fickle....beautiful sky and I didn't know about these plants...

    ReplyDelete