Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014

Bighorn sheep on Highway 74 October 2014
This big guy crossed the highway, October 2014.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hawk~World Bird Wednesday~032112





I never know what I'm going to find up in our local mountains and on this day, I managed to look up in the ponderosa forest and see this hawk.  I don't know what kind it is...can someone tell me?  I know there are red tailed hawks up there because I've heard their cries.  I've seen Kestrels, too, and one time an owl flew over me.  I only realized it because I caught motion out of the corner of my eye.  I never heard a sound!  I didn't hear this hawk either.  Instead, he made lazy circles in the meadow before disappearing out of my sight.  World Bird Wednesday for March 21, 2012.  To visit World Bird Wednesday, please go to:   http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

16 comments:

  1. I'd guess thats a red tail hawk... Gorgeous pictures of it!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great captures. Looks like a red tail to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you yet again for this amazing web-site you have designed here. It's full of ideas for those who are definitely interested in this subject, especially this very post. You're really all absolutely sweet and thoughtful of others plus reading your blog posts is a superb delight if you ask me. And what a generous gift! Ben and I are going to have fun making use of your points in what we should instead do next week. Our list is a mile long and tips might be put to good use.
    http://www.smallbusinessplansoftware.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great in-flight photos of the Hawk. No idea what it is! Hawks out here are quite different!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Red-tail and wonderful flight images~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos, Cheryl! I love raptors! And your header is indeed gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of flight shots. It looks like the red tailed to me. But, I have been wrong before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice in-flight shots of the Red-tailed Hawk Cheryl Ann! The fanned red tail shows perfectly in the third shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent bird.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is, indeed a red-tailed hawk. Not only does the red tail give it away, but the dark leading edge to the wing is diagnostic of a red-tail. You can see it quite well in the last 2 photos. However, they have many different color morphs so they can be quite tricky. You did well. Great flight pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful experience! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just stand in awe when you see a bird like this. The raptors are captivating, especially in flight. Beautiful pictures, lucky moment ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots, Cheryl! It seems so easy to get a good picture of a soaring bird but it really isn't! At least not for me.
    I saw 4!!! Turkey vultures at the Morongo Preserve a couple of days ago. I was stoked! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete