COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ponderosa forest and meadow





Way up past the end of Deep Canyon is Garner Valley.  This whole valley used to be the Garner Cattle Company.  The company is still there, but much of the valley has been subdivided into 5 acre parcels for expensive homes and ranches.  Other parts of it are BLM land, which is good because the open spaces, like this, will be preserved.  There is a forest road which turns off at one point, and then splits into about 7 different side roads.  I sometimes like to drive out here and just shut my car down and LISTEN.  Listen to the wind moving through the trees, listen to the screech of hawks, or the cry of a red-tailed hawk.  One time, I ran into a herd of longhorns!  I quietly drove right through them. It is a magical place and I understand there are some Cahuilla Indian sites up there.  I believe it.  This place is special.  Unfortunately, the gun club was out practicing, so I avoided them.  One fellow checked me out and I waved my camera at him and he waved back, but I wanted a quiet area, so I took a couple of side roads I had never taken before.  Fortunately I had hubby's car, our Nissa XTerra.  I drive a Honda CRV, which has all wheel drive, but it was in the shop getting an oil change.  I found out I need 4 new tires and a tuneup.  That will have to wait until summer.  I love driving the XTerra because it actually has a higher clearance than my CRV and this is one area that I need that, although I've taken the Honda there many times.  Notice that the mountains have NO SNOW.  It has been a dry winter.  There have been some snowstorms, but nothing deep and I'm afraid we are in for a LONG, HOT, DRY summer.  I was able to see mountain bluebirds and meadowlarks this morning, as well as a couple of Kestrels.  I can't wait to return next weekend and maybe I'll take the XTerra again!

1 comment: