Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Snow~and LOTS of it!



It started snowing in our local mountains yesterday afternoon and it snowed all night.  It was still snowing this morning.  I had to drive hubby to work, so I took my camera with me.  After I dropped him off, I drove up the mountain highway to see where the snow was and how much had fallen.  This is the largest snow storm we've had this season and it is a late one.  It snowed all day, on and off, so it will be interesting to see how much snow it on these mountains tomorrow.  it appears the snow was down to about 2,000 feet, which is a really low snow elevation.  There was snow even before I drove through the pinyon forest. And, it was snowing while I was there.  I only drove partway up the mountain as the road was closed to traffic, except those cars or trucks with snow tires or chains.It is a good thing for these mountains to have this storm as it has been a very dry winter, with little rainfall.  I always enjoy seeing the snow on them and I'm glad I had an opportunity to experience it this winter. It continued snowing all afternoon and we even got more rain down in the desert on and off all day.

4 comments:

  1. We got snow here also - not so much in the Phoenix area but at about 2000 feet which isn't far. Cave Creek area. So pretty. I wish it would snow down here. Loved loved loved the rain. Hopefully we'll get more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty to look at. All 6" of it, from my window. And still falling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again! I've missed visiting you! Oh, I wish we'd had some snow this year. I wish we'd had WINTER this year! Snow is lovely and cold and the winter temps kill bugs that need killin.' However, this year I'm afraid we're gonna be innundated with the critters. Anyway, I love your snow shots - enjoyed visiting! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got quite a bit of snow and also quite a bit of rain (before and after the snow). It's just patches in the shade now and the ground is really sloppy but man did we need it!

    ReplyDelete