Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14

Bighorn sheep herd 05/26/14
There were about a dozen bighorn sheep this date 052614 up on Highway 74, above Palm Desert, CA, and right above Deep Canyon.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Animal tracks~Nature Notes~042612






Last weekend I stopped and parked at the end of the street where we had our 5 acres 35 years ago up in Garner Valley.  I've always continued to drive by the lot.  For years (many years...) it sat empty.  It was only a few years ago that somebody finally built a house up in the rocks on the lot.  My husband and I used to take our VW camper and our German Shepherd and drive up there from the desert and camp out on the weekends.  We took our little propane stove and had a blast.  This was BK (before kids).  I was pregnant with our daughter and we still continued to camp up there.  However, once she was born and our son was on his way, we could no longer make the $99 a month payment on it, so we sold it...sigh...I still enjoy driving by it, however, and at the end of the street there's a locked gate.  But it is also a trail to an old, abandoned mine further up on the mountain, which I've never hiked to before.  Last Sunday, however, I did hike back along the wash which runs down from the mountains.  I used to walk in that wash 35 years ago and saw bobcat footprints and even a bobcat.  My first owl flew over my head silently in that wash, too.  I had never hiked back 1/4 mile to where I was on Sunday and I was surprised to see a cabin back there, nestled among the trees.  I was so busy looking at all the interesting footprints in the sand that I nearly walked right up to the cabin!  I believe it is on private property, so I didn't intrude.  I did see all these neat footprints in the wash.  I think one set is a raccoon.  I don't know what the small ones next to my foot are...can anybody identify them for me?  I'd like to return again to this spot...maybe this next weekend?  Nature Notes for April 26, 2012.  To visit Nature Notes, please go to:    http://ramblingwoods.com/

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful area and interesting tracks.. I always meant to get a book on tracks or you could look on-line as I remember seeing sites with info like that...Have a great week Cheryl Ann...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is always fun to discover tracks and try to figure out who they belong to!

    ReplyDelete