COPYRIGHT

Copyright 2006 - 2016 by Cheryl Dean. All rights reserved.
Photos may ONLY be used for educational purposes and NO photo may be used without my written consent.

Be sure and visit my ETSY store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesertsandBeyond?ref=pr_shop_more

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Montezuma's Castle, central Arizona

There certainly isn't anything like Montezuma's Castle in Deep Canyon.  This amazing structure was built about 1100 A.D. and the Indians lived in it for over 300 years.  There is a river right next to it, Beaver Creek, and the inhabitants were able to cultivate their own crops not far away.  It was well built and built into the side of a cliff, and with it facing outward, they had a good view of the valley below.  Hubby and I have driven by this so many times and we've never stopped until today.  I'm glad we did.  It was an amazing experience!  No, you cannot go up into the ruins, but you can walk the trail below them and look up. You can, however, walk right on top of the ruins of another section of the "castle", which isn't really a castle and wasn't built by Montezuma!  If you ever do drive by it, DO stop to see it.

3 comments:

  1. I love this place. Really something special to see in person. Glad you made it over this way:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just there a week or so ago. It's an amazing place. Soooo peaceful. I commented to my nephew that I'd love to stay there overnight and just gobble up all the peacefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great place. If you can get up high enough you can see why they built there. It overlooks a sometimes fairly large creek that runs about 50 yards in front of it. Nice! Don't you just love seeing things that old?

    ReplyDelete