The Dancer

The Dancer
Graceful dead tree up above Deep Canyon.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Yucca blossoms~Macro Monday, Our World Tuesday~041712




As I was speeding driving by the little community of Pinyon Pines last Sunday, I noticed a single yucca blooming alongside the road.  Good thing I pulled over, as a California Highway Patrol vehicle went by!  Actually, I wasn't speeding.  I DO NOT speed on that road...EVER!  I'm always on the lookout for wildlife on it and I actually saw a coyote running along the side of it on my way back.  He/she could have darted right out into oncoming cars, so I honked and yelled at it and it dove into the cover of the manzanita along the road.  Phew!  ANYWAY, I pulled over to take some photos of this yucca, since it is one of the very few I've seen up on the mountain this year.  There are some down in the desert, next to the Bighorn development, but I would have to park and walk a long way to see them as the city doesn't allow parking along that stretch of road.  I really wanted to get up close and see these blooms.  There were water droplets still on them from Friday's snowfall and this was Sunday morning.  Aren't they beautiful?  I also included a photo of the whole stalk so that you could see how many blooms there were! Macro Monday and Our World Tuesday for April 17, 2012. To visit OWT, please go to:   http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

  1. Cheryl Anne

    Try tasting the flower blossoms as they are edible. They have the texture of iceberg lettuce and a very fragrant perfumey yet ever so slight slight bitter after taste, but in a salad they are wonderful. If you're ever found stuck out in the wilds situation and in need of food then that is one choice if it's the right time of year.

    Try planting some in your yard. Sounds like it may be the Spanish Dagger which won't die after it flowers like the "Our Lords Candle" does.

    As far as that road, I know every nook and granny and what you can and cannot get away with. One winter in the late 1980s, my wife and I were coming back from Arizona, it was December. We knew there was a snow storm coming in and did make it up the hill to Sugarloaf Cafe. Past Palm Canyon Road at night in a blizzard is not the smartest thing to do, especially on that stretch of road between Pinyon and Paradise corners. What folks don't understand is that at that altitude, you are not only driving thru a storm, you're actually up in it. So it's not only the driving snow fiercely hitting your windscreen, but also foggy conditions. All you can see is white and it's late at night and you are on that road literally in the middle of no man's land and up a dry wash if you get stuck.

    Mostly I crept along in Four Wheel drive in my Toyota truck. I was squinting my eyes and trying to follow the faint indentations of car tracks that had gone before me some couple hours ago and I was hoping he knew where he was going. At two spots(and to this day I don't exactly know where) I had to literally stop the truck, get out and walk in front of my headlights with a flashlight and brush around in the deep snow that Cal-Trans wasn't going to clear until the next morning and brush away the ground to look for the two YELLOW LINES to get my bearings again.

    It's also a lousy road when there are icy conditions. I usually spent an extra hour or so going around thru Hemet or Temecula thru Banning/Beaumont to avoid the Pinyon road dangers. The whole 25 years I was there, I only did it twice in those conditions. Will never chance it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, your header is awesome and what a view!! Secondly, I love the yucca blossoms and your macros are gorgeous! So much beauty!! Thanks for sharing it, Cheryl Ann! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they are delicious and moist to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the same flowers closeup like yours this week. Used to walk past, and took photos as a whole bunch, but this time, I thought i will take a macro photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved to see the yuccas in bloom when we used to drive through the desert. I kind of miss the dry landscape, especially during the long wet winters. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have yucca all around us but I have never looked at the blossoms up close - they are always blooming up on a slope somewhere, it seems. I had no idea the petals were so pretty up close. (or that they are edible)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted, but don't know why it didn't appear. Just this week, I took photos of this yucca. People here in Auckland grow them, but I don't think they know it is edible. the petals just drop to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I'm going to look at the Living Desert to see if they have yuccas and if they do, I have the perfect spot out front for one! Hehehehe!!!! Thank you for all the info about the yuccas...I never knew you could eat the blossoms! They did attract flies and BEES! I'll stop by this one again this weekend and see how it is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been an incredibly learning opportunity. I, too, did not know they were edible and have never seen them up close and personal. Thanks so much - everyone!

    ReplyDelete